Thursday, June 19, 2008

Time flew by

Before I knew it, it was a week before the wedding. I was a nervous wreck, everything seemed completely chaotic. I didn't want to work out, didn't want to continue the torment of the dress fitting, which was excruciating, didn't want to go to work and definitely didn't want to hear everyone tell me it was all going to go fine. Everytime I went for a fitting, the skirt got smaller and smaller, in accordance with my weight loss (that was okay) and the jacket kept getting tighter and tighter -- in accordance with the expansion of my arm muscles. The jacket just didn't fit and my dress-maker was getting frustrated. I understood but there wasn't anything she or I could do about it.

The corset, bless Dark Garden, was not an overall easy fix. Autumn, stroking her chin in perplexion: "I told you you could lose 20 pounds, but I didn't say you could change your body." Scrutinizing me and my ill-fitting corset a bit longer, "About all I can do is take it in, it will work, but you have changed your body." She did this alternation in only 2 days, bless her again, and the corset fit about as well as it could. It was in fact stunning, the most amazing thing ever. I highly recommend corsets for anyone, thick or thin.

Ditching the jacket for the wedding, choosing instead a silk Indian shawl, I felt FABULOUS and didn't mind for one minute that I was cinched up a good 4 inches smaller than I was. I've lost 25 pounds since February.

I'll blog on the wedding in another post, because there's a lot to say about weddings in general and mine specifically. Let's just say I looked like someone who walked out of a Western Saloon in 1865 and felt perfect, amazing, beautiful. That's thanks to Laura Benitez, my dress-maker and Autumn and Alysha at Dark Garden -- all amazing women who help other women feel beautiful with their craft and skill, in spite of the "flaws".

And here's to Stein who keeps laughing at me when I try to call in sick for my work-outs; it's never too hot for him (try 100 degrees without air conditioning), too tired, too stressed or too whatever. He just laughs and tells me to come in and stop being a wuss.

No comments: