Monday, June 23, 2008

The worms, the spice, is there a relationship?

My God. I've been spending the last many months torturing myself over my own body. Not such a bad thing, and I've made big strides to regain my sense of self, but something happened recently that has seriously made me examine some other aspects of my life. Some things I think that are more vital to understanding my life, the course of it and the why of it.

In the last week, I reconnected with a person I've not seen or spoken to in maybe 23 years. The internet, a modern miracle of technology, is to thank as I would have lost him forever without it. His name is Tom Frank, a magician, a jokester and all over hard-core guy who spent a few years with me in the immeasurable hell of the mid 1980's, a time for us of abundant drug abuse, thievery, trickery and most of all the testing of human limitations. Our common link is a man I had an intimate relationship with, and eventually, a child. We both admire and loathe this man, rue the day we met him, and yet I think we both owe him a nod of respect for introducing us to the very reasons why, in fact, we both still want to be alive. It takes reaching down into the depths of your soul and the limitations of your moral and physical endurance. This is not a story about drug addiction or unethical actions. It is a story about loss of reason. There were few who shed the garments of social convention, disdained the rules and so flagrantly broke them... and usually got away with it.

The past week has reawakened an interest in coming to grips with a past only a few could comprehend.

I am glad that Tom came back into my life not only to relive the adventure, but to move beyond it. I had long thought it would take more than one to mold the story into something coherent, something we could use as a catharsis. We need to move on, but never forget.

No comments: