Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lovely Day

This morning, I've got this idea to go to Dark Garden and get a new corset, the one day off Carter and I have this week, but dammit, I want a waist cincher. Plus it's D.G.'s one yearly sale so I'd save some money. Poor Carter says he'll join me, but obviously he'd be chaffeuring yet again to do some needless shopping. He wouldn't enjoy it, I know this. Carter's such a great guy. He will do what I want, even if he really doesn't want to. About the only thing he will stay home for is going to some mainstream amusement park, which I understand. Other than that, he's game. What a sweetheart he is.

So Dash and Jessica show up around noon and I suddenly remember there's some event at the Dunsmuir House, so I look it up and sho' nuff, there's the Scottish Games. Now I'm of Irish heritage meself, but it sounds kind of fun, so I switch gears and decide the corset can wait. Off we go. Jessica's hell of tired. The poor thing is just dragging ass through the 2 miles of walking we end up doing, and I'm looking at her thinking "Pobrecita!" Dash, of course, is everywhere; talking to the caber tossers and tossing 90 pound rocks around with guys in kilts jeering him. We spend a great deal of time talking to falconers -- they brought out peregrine falcons, gosshawks, barbary falcons, an enormous owl, even a golden eagle -- and these people are so eager to give out information and help us understand what they do, it's amazing. The actual Scottish gamers are equally eager to talk with us and encourage our interest. These people train all year for these festivals. Dashiell falls in love with the idea of being a gamer and starts chatting up some of the gamers, and this big sturdy chick named Megan gives him her email and wants to work with him! He's so psyched. My boy Dash, he just gets himself into everything and here is wanting to hurl ginormous rocks across the lawn in competition with these big burly Scotts. Good for him!

We get home around 4 p.m. and talk about having some dinner together -- some Harris ranch prime ribs, chicken, and huge home made Caesar salad with fresh dressing -- Yum! And we're having this conversation about the games and then getting some ingredients for the Caesar dressing and Dashiell blurts out: "Jessica's pregnant."

Yeah, they are pregnant and this one (the last one failed) looks like it's going to last. In nine months I will have a grandchild. This is just a Wow evening for me. Dashiell was kind of upset that I didn't react with more glee, but to tell the truth, Jessica had hipped me to her "condition" a few weeks ago, for a variety of reasons. Dashiell has been wrestling with how, when, where to tell me and Jess and I have just been quiet about it. I didn't want to steal his thunder, but it's so obvious she's pregnant; her boobs are huge, her little tummy is pooching a little bit and she's so damned tired, all the time. I've been there, and even if she'd not said a word, I'd have been suspicious. But now the news is out and I'm damned happy about it.

It's never easy to bring a child into the world, and frankly, there's never a perfect, right time. You just do it when it happens and go for the whole ride. It's a blast, and I've never regretted my child, just as I know that this child will be everything s/he should be.

Yes, it was A (perfectly) Lovely Day.

Peace.

1 comment:

Tom Frank said...

Damn Grandma! Congrats across the board!