Sunday, January 25, 2009

Good Golly Ms. Molly!

The hubster and I did some work at the gym last night, I rowed 3K at level 10, jump roped 400. Did a short circuit of core work -- 3 sets of four-point planks, a couple sets of side planks. Still feeling very sore from last week's circuit with Stein. Since we're concentrating primarily on upper body, my arms and chest are stressed. The muscles are more used to the hard-core endurance of Crossfit at this point, not weight-training, so they're complaining (in a good way).

Carter's working on running. He used to play soccer, so once was able to run forever, but that was a long time ago, and he's got his goals to achieve right now: he ran a mile, rowed 3k at level 6 (broke these up) and did a pre-Crossfit warm-up as his workout (lunges, squats, rope jumps, jumping jacks, etcetera), which is essentially an entire workout in itself. I'm proud of him for working on the running, particularly since it's one of my weakest areas. I'd like to start working on it, but I keep injuring myself in various ways every single time I try to run. Carter inspires me. He's just an animal who can't be beat down. Everyone at the gym who isn't intimidated by him comments on how hard he works. Makes me smile.

Carter and I both noted today that we no longer get shin splint pain, which we were having some trouble with a couple months ago when we started jumping and running more.

So today, we took the dogs for the 2 1/2 mile walk around Point Isabel. Stella has a slightly bum front leg, and I can't figure out what the trouble is. It happens only when she's walked for a time. She is, however, the very laziest dog I've ever encountered, and it's both amusing and frustrating. Stella Mae reminds me of me a year ago; she makes doggie type excuses, limps a little more than necessary, but only when she's right in front of me so I can see it; throws herself down in a tizzy when she's too tired to continue when she's tired... not like she can't keep going, she just doesn't want to. Geez, I was just like that too!

She needs more time out for long walks, and I don't have the time to do that which really sucks for her. I can go to the gym for my lunch break, but Stella can't. It's a shame, really, and I really owe her better than this. Jazmin, the little mutt, keeps up with the Joneses no matter what. No complaints. She's a Crossfitter. Stella's a weekend amateur softball player and if she could, she'd be swilling a beer while on our walks around Point Isable. Jazmine would be sipping on Cytomax to keep hydrated. Funny how these two dogs are so different from one another, and so human in an odd way. Both get the same level of exercise, and each responds differently to the workouts they have.

We got home and I continued painting the back bedroom. I marvel, even now, at how much easier everything is for me to do. Last year, prepping, moving furniture, crouching down to tape everything down would have been very difficult. Today it was just a chore to do, which I enjoyed while blasting some Audioslave and Drowning Pool.

The best part of today was that Molly, a really cool chick I met two years ago when she took care of Stella for me, called me. We've been promising to reconnect for two years. It's ridiculous, but we're alike in that it's so easy to email, "oh yeah, let's get together sometime...." and then it never happens. Frankly, I really liked Molly. A Lot. But she does these crazy long walk/hikes with the dogs she cares for, and I think I was a little intimidated that I couldn't keep up back
then. In fact, I know I could not have kept up and this knowledge may have been part and parcel why I never committed to getting together.

So Ms. Molly calls me tonight, after we email back and forth a bit with the usual empty promises and lo and behold, we got us a date for a hike next Monday! And I can probably at least keep up. At this point, I'm more concerned about Stella Mae than I am about me. Stella needs a good hike. And she loves Molly.

No comments: